Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Flamenco Chillin'




GCC is closed today because of a big snow storm that is spinning over the the East Coast States. I'm snowed in and the house is cold.

To pass the time, I put on some "flamenco chill," a genre of Spanish music. It is, loosely defined, a fusion of classical flamenco, world instruments, electronica, jazz and African beats. Sometimes, I will admit, it's a bit too jazzy and new-agey for my tastes.

But I love flamenco.

Flamenco reminds me of time that I spent with my mother in Málaga during Holy Week (her name was Marivy). She took my sisters and me to the cathedral where Gernalísimo Franco was married (she was baptized there). We breathed the smells of the processions and the Mediterranean sea...sweet and savory street food, fresh fish, emormous blooming flowers, incense burning. And I felt for the first time the strange combination of pena and alegría that are simultaneously expressed by flamenco performers.

If you grow up in the south of Spain you know flamenco. Consider the high-school dances at my friend Alicia's shool. Interspersed between pop and rock songs, the DJ at these dances played flamenco and in seconds, the gym would be filled with heel-stomping, spinning teens with their chests high and their fingers fanned. Even the wall flowers were compelled to clap.

I especially admire the work of the lead singer of flamenco-chill's flagship group, "Chambao" (music video below).

At the height of the group's popularity LaMari was diagnosed with breast cancer. She writes about her experience and offers hope in her book,

Enamorá de la vida, aunque a veces duela.

"Fall in love with life (or better translated, love life), although at times it(life) hurts."

interview, Flamenco chill group








Another video:

Chambao - Comeme

No comments:

Post a Comment