Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Freedom! Libertad!


I've just become familiar with Google Talk and video chats. I imagine this would be a nice way to listen to distance learning student oral presentations or to have on-line office hours.

Finally! Por fin! I can rid myself of my avatar (as in Second Life) and just be me.

Yo.

Baja. Morena. Contenta.

The college was, and still is, supportive of the Second Life format. Instructors and students walk around (as avatars) in a virtual world. I took a class in order to familiarize myself with both the culture and the tools involved. My name was "Aracely Highfield." (Don't bother looking for me in Second Life, however.)

Flying off of buildings was fun. Seeing "myself" walking under the ocean and navigating through strange virtual cities was, well, strange.

I'm using a tablet with front and rear facing cameras for the video chat. It's easy to carry around and I'm freed from sitting in front of a desktop for extended periods of time.

Students- Contact me in the course space for my gmail address. I'd be more than happy to set up a time to give this idea a test run.

No comments:

Post a Comment